Commercial moving checklist
Moving your family to another town may seem like a big challenge. However, relocating your entire business is a completely different task to take on. Commercial moving has many similarities to residential moving, but it has way more differences. Your family only has a few members, but your office has a lot more people that depend on it. Apart from yourself, you have to keep in mind your employees and your clients when relocating a business. Cross Country Moving Group FL is here to assist you through the entire process! With years of experience, we know what it takes to successfully move a business from one part of the country to another. Let’s get started with our checklist!
Things to keep in mind when compiling a commercial moving checklist
We will try to be as thorough as possible in this commercial moving guide. However, before we even begin writing this list, there are a few key points you should remember.
- Time is everything. Of course, everyone wishes for a speedy and smooth relocation, no matter if it’s commercial or residential. However, when you’re moving a business, time is of great importance. The more time you spend away from your desk or with your employees, the more money is lost. That is why fast relocation is the number one goal of your commercial movers FL.
- Finding the right moving crew for your needs should be your priority. When it comes to relocating an entire business, there are often many things at stake. One thing you won’t have in a regular residential move is expensive, bulky equipment. Our expert movers know exactly how to handle this type of cargo and will move it safely for you.
Why should you start your commercial relocation on time?
Even though you may already be familiar with the process of relocation, we have to repeat this. Beginning the move on time is probably the one piece of advice all long distance movers Miami will give you. Naturally, this commercial moving checklist will be longer than a regular one and will require more thought and preparation. Many experts recommend starting at least six months prior to your desired moving date. Every business is different in its own way, and this will completely depend on you. If you’ve got a lot of employees and bigger items that need moving, start early. On the other hand, if your team is small and you’ve got one or two office spaces, then you don’t need to start as early, and two to three months should be enough.
Things to begin commercial moving with
- Gather a planning team in your company. With a smaller number of employees, usually, everyone joins and helps out in the moving process, at least a bit. In a much bigger company, there are a number of people involved in various ways. However, during these few months, there should be a smaller team and a couple of people whose job would be to monitor the relocation process. It makes it easier to know who’s in charge and the rest can make sure the business is still running.
- Set a budget. Again, this depends on the size of your company, but the planning team should know how much they can spend on the move. The cost of moving a business isn’t going to be small. If upper management is dictating the budget, then you would have to know it in advance. If you’re on a strict budget, then you have another task. That is, to weigh in more detail where the funds will go, and where you can save up a bit.
Choosing the right movers for the relocation of your company
When it comes to residential relocation, it can be done with or without the help of professional movers. On a smaller scale, with proper planning and enough time on your hands, you can easily relocate your family from one home to another. However, moving a company requires far more than a single pair of hands. Here are a few tips on how to pick the right professional commercial moving company for your needs.
Things to keep in mind when hiring movers
- Range of services you require from a moving company. While there are a lot of various moving companies on the market, not all of them will offer the same services. With commercial moving, it is important to look for movers who have experience in that area. For instance, your employees might not have the time to pack up the office for the move. Therefore, you need to find movers who can finish corporate packing for you.
- Previous experience and reliability. Unfortunately, there are many scams in the moving industry. Because of this, you need to be careful about picking who is going to relocate your company. It’s always useful to read reviews about the company and check if they have experience in commercial relocation. Anyone can put boxes in a truck and drive away, but few know what it takes to move an office.
Ask your movers whether they will be willing to work flexible hours
When managing a business, sometimes it’s more convenient to pack everything up and move after working hours. There will be more work that needs to be done. Also, you may wish to keep your business open during the day. If this is important to you, make sure you let the movers know before you sign a contract. On the other hand, it is also crucial to know whether they will charge more for this kind of service. The price of your move will depend on many factors, but talk with your movers and get a moving estimate beforehand. This will help you stay within your budget, and also determine whether you will hire this particular moving company or search for another.
Next steps in commercial moving
After selecting a moving company of your choice, now the process is becoming more serious. You’ve discussed a moving date with your movers, and it’s slowly coming up. It’s time to think about other important tasks when it comes to commercial moving.
Think about your employees during the relocation process
When you have an entire team to think about, not just your family members, then they mustn’t be left behind. We understand that commercial moving is quite a complex task. However, that’s still not an excuse to forget about the employees who work for your company. A good boss is also a great leader, and they will know how to lead their team into a new era for the company.
- Moving locally? Local relocation may not come as a big change in their schedule. However, some may decide to leave if the commute is too much for them. Others will stay but would like a heads up so they can finish their projects or just mentally prepare for the new workspace.
- Moving across the country? Make sure your employees know this ahead of time. More often than not, many of them will decide to stay and not relocate with you. They will need extra time to find another job and figure out their future plans. In case they want to come with you, then they also need a while to prepare for their own relocation.
Ways to take extra care of your employees during a commercial relocation
- Don’t stop communication. It may be a good idea to send out weekly newsletters to your team. These will give them updates on the moving process. They can include various information, from updates on the relocation to expected changes in their workflow routines. Also, they can inform them of the new building – whether they will have enough parking spaces, a cafeteria, availability of public transport, etc.
- Assist them in the job hunt. If you’ve got the time, try and assist those who aren’t staying with their job hunt. It isn’t easy to find another job, but with the proper support, anything is possible. Write them a great reference and keep in touch.
How to include your clients in this commercial moving process
Let’s be honest, your clients/customers are what makes your business grow. As any good business owner, your goal is to keep them interested and to work on those customer relations. If you’ve stayed in this particular location for a long time, then this change will affect them almost as much as you. Great customer service can go a long way, and here are a few tips on how to take care of your clients during this commercial move.
Use your website and the social media to your advantage
In today’s day and age, it is much easier to advertise your business than it was years ago. Thanks to the Internet, your customers can know what you are doing even without actually contacting you. On these platforms, you can keep them updated on the moving process as it goes. If you’re moving a long way from them, give your old customers something they can appreciate. One such example is a special discount code for your regulars that they can use on your website. They will appreciate the offer, and you won’t lose a customer!
Online marketing is the way to go
It can always be hard to find new customers when you relocate. Especially if it’s to a whole new state or a country! Start talking about the new location and your services weeks before you actually move. This will help you gain new clients even before they step foot in the new location. Also, you can attract people by organizing a sale or by giving special promo discounts after you move. Everyone loves a good bargain, and this will give you a chance to prove how great your business is in the new area!
How to prepare your office material for commercial moving
When you’ve got the assistance of professional movers, this is a point you don’t have to worry about that much. However, it still requires your attention. Depending on the type (and size!) of your business, there will be various aspects to keep in mind. For instance, if you’ve got important machinery that is crucial for your business, their transportation will be your number one priority. Not all movers will agree to relocate bulky machines! Make sure you hire those ones that can. Also, packing fragile items requires great care. This is when you realize the importance of working with experienced movers. There is a lot at stake when moving a business, and we know it!
Decide if some items need to go into storage facilities
Many businesses make great use out of storage facilities. Whether it is to store excess office material and furniture, or storing the items they are selling. Nevertheless, finding good storage FL will be one of the tasks on your commercial moving checklist. There are a few things to think about when picking the right facility for you. Does it have proper ventilation? How good is the security system?
In any case, when you start on time, commercial moving doesn’t have to become a hassle and a nightmare. Follow a carefully designed checklist, and find yourself great and reliable movers (such as Cross Country Moving Group!). With our help, office relocation can be a breeze. You shouldn’t have to worry about a thing other than the future plans for your business at a brand new location!